What's in a Pelvis Elvis???

Posted Posted by Lady Bug in Comments 0 comments





So I was advised by the attendant to come in full bladder for my pelvic ultrasound. My appointment is at 10:00AM but I feel like peeing in as early as 9:00AM.  I just thought of having to hold on to it for I am not sure if I will be able to full it by 10:00AM. Surely, it isn't an easy thing to do but I managed to hold on to it until 10:40AM. Yeah, you've got it right, they've let me wait for 40 minutes or so.

Jane was the name of the tech and she was very sweet.  Without wasting time, she made me lie on the bed, applied the gel and immediately performed a Transabdominal Scan.  There was nothing unusual to it but I wanted to immediately put an end to it so that I can rush to the toilet and pee.

Then, it's time for the next procedure – the Transvaginal Scan (TVS)!  Had I not had this procedure before, surely I’ll be shocked with the transducer (a wand-like device that they insert into the vagina) upon seeing it the way I was during my first scan. Anyhows, it took us quite some time to finish the procedure since Jane can't seem to have a view of my right ovary.  She said that a cyst, probably an endometrioma, was blocking the view.  She also has showed me the other images which, again, I have no idea of what it is all about.

To cut the story short, the session ended well and I have to wait for almost a week to have my hands on the analysis which goes like this:

Transabdominal and transvaginal studies were obtained.  No previous studies are available for comparison.

The patient gave history of prior endometriosis.  The uterus is seen anteverted and measured 9.0 x 4.3 x 4.5 cm.  Normal endometrial thickness. 

The left ovary is well identified and measured 3.2 x 2.9 cm containing few follicles.

The right ovary is not seen.  Instead, there is a relatively homogenous, slightly hypoechoic, well-defined lesion seen in the right adnexa measuring 7.3 x 5.0 x 4.8 cm, not demonstrating any flow within it. Its appearance is most in keeping with probable endometrioma. Other differentials of homogenous right adnexal disease considered but are less likely. Further evaluation may be done with pelvic MRI.


MRI?  Have I read it right?  Does it mean I have to undergo another test?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? I would love to know what's on your mind!